Yesterday I planned my day out just so and was able to make a breakfast of champions: eggs and soldiers. For those of you who don’t know what this English delight is, its a fancy schmancy way of saying soft boiled eggs and toast. (The British have such a wonderful penchant for making everything sound so fancy, don’t they?!)
Halfway through boiling the eggs, I realized- we don’t have egg cups in the house! Luckily some small jam jars caught my eye and I improvised. I won’t let anything get between me and my breakfast!
To make your own, follow these simple instructions.
Easy Eggs and Soldiers
4 eggs at room temperature
4 pieces of bread
1) Bring water in a large pot to boil. Place eggs, which must be at room temperature, in the water gently and allow to boil for one minute.
2) Remove pot from heat and cover. Set a timer for five minutes.
3) While waiting for the eggs, toast your bread.
4) Cut your bread in half, and then cut the halves in half again to make four little strips (I don’t do this because I don’t dip the bread in the egg for whatever reason).
5) When timer goes off, place eggs in cups (or whatever you’ve fashioned for cups) and serve.
Talk about starting the day off right! I need more mornings like this.